I think theatrical will always be there, but most of my biggest experiences of cinema have been in front of a TVno one was screening Fellini films in Ireland when I was 19 or 20.. Agent. It wasnt going to get lost in the shuffle. We were watching it the whole time. Dede Gardner (producer, Plan B, Moonlight): When we and Barry said it was absolutely critical that we shoot in Miami, they said, Of course it is. And you know, many, many others wouldve said, Well, you can get the rebate if you go to Atlanta. But anyone whos read it knows that Liberty Square and that particular light and that particular culture was a character. Igoe: That morning was crazy. But we got A Glimpse Inside the Mind. [13] That same year, A24 entered a deal with Amazon Prime, where A24-distributed films would be available on Amazon Instant Video after becoming available on DVD and Blu-ray. Thats very unusual. Beyer: There were like a few ads that we made. John has been a trusted partner who helped conceive A24 and for that we will always be grateful, noted A24. Its DirecTV/A24 release grossed $229,094 and never played on more than 54 screens. When an A24 acquisitions exec pitched the story to me, excitedly laying out the plot in broad but heartbreaking strokes, he asked if it sounded like an A24 film. Leave it to Jim Jarmusch to make the coolest vampire movie ever. An A24 project is far more likely to be female-driven than a film released by another company, and it is typically directed by a major filmmaker (Sally Potter, Sofia Coppola, Noah Baumbach) or a filmmaker on the cusp of becoming one (J.C. Chandor, James Ponsoldt). I won, I think, L.A. Film Critics and maybe one other. Hodges: I started my career at USA Films, which became Focus Features. That was the first time it screened for U.S. audiences. And there are studio subdivisions, like Fox Searchlight, that have consistently guided films like 12 Years a Slave and Birdman to Academy Awards and box office success over the past twenty years. A24 Co-Founder John Hodges Exits | Art and Experience Cinema Alex Garland (director, Ex Machina): They make things work that according to standard procedures really shouldnt work. In 2013, A24 released their first five films: Sally Potters Ginger & Rosa, Harmony Korines Spring Breakers, Sofia Coppolas The Bling Ring, James Ponsoldts The Spectacular Now, and Roman Coppolas A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, starring Charlie Sheen. Sacco: Youre not like, Oh, we got a Best Picture winner! Youre just like, Oh, we got a great movie.. When we started, we wanted it to be about the films and filmmakers, not us, Katz told the Hollywood Reporter at the end of 2013, and that culture remains evident in all aspects of their business. Katz: There was still, I think, the element ofthey thought we got lucky. We saw the red envelope. Daniels like, Okay. Set in 1630s New England, a family is banished from their village and starts to unravel when their baby vanishes. TV production powerhouse Jax Media is expanding into film and tapped John Hodges, one of the founding partners of A24, as its new head of film. I say, Dont go there. Because what happened was, someone ran out with a red envelope. In September 2013, A24 struck a partnership valued up to $40 millionwith satellite television provider DirecTV. The company said he will exit to focus on future opportunities, but did not clarify beyond that statement. Surely theyve learned by now that theres a ceiling for arthouse films these days. Producer: Safety Not Guaranteed. Like I had glandular problems. Colin Farrell (actor, The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer): They have such a great eye for these small little films and rich and unique stories that may have not found it to the big screen if it wasnt for them. So I just called the guy. All contents 2023 The Slate Group LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE|SUBSCRIBE|CONTACT. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA Enterprise and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. I dont think that switch in psychology is supposed to happen that dramatically, or that abruptly. So everything had to be explained to me, and by the time it was explained, it was over. John Hodges - IMDb Meanwhile, A24 has already been building an ark. Other companies wanted to do stuff with it. I remember when all the commotion started, I look at David. Theres music labels I can think of as well. Asif Kapadia (director, Amy): I had never heard of A24. The story behind the studio that brought you Moonlight and It Comes At Night, as told by Barry Jenkins, Sofia Coppola, James Franco, Robert Pattinson, and the founders of A24 themselves. But we liked them. The companys expansion into film is a natural progression as the company continues to produce scripted and non-scripted television as well as stand-up comedy specials. The company has laid the groundwork to evolve from just another upstart distribution label into a multiheaded ministudio capable of developing its own contentand so far theyve done it by releasing movies that tend to earn more cultural cachet than they do money. Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy. [24], On November 15, 2018, A24 and Apple announced that they had entered into a multi-year partnership where A24 will produce a slate of original films for Apple. Everybody was talking a few years ago how cinema had died. Garland: I didnt know what Tinder was until the festival. It was our first Sundance all together. They were thinking in a different way, trying something newer and maybe more radical with their approach. The optimistic way to view this situation is that A24 is getting much better at buying good movies for its DirecTV deal, rather than filler like Barely Lethal. Theyre just on it. Across 96 films released at the time of this article, the average Production Budget on each film rounds out to a cool $6 million, with the Box Office revenue across the 96 films adding up to $798 million. No additional changes in management will be made, said A24, which will continue to develop and produce a growing slate of content across film and television. Maybe we werent geniuses with Spring Breakers, but we were the ones who said, Lets put it in theaters, because we could build on that. People liked Spring Breakers. They entered into deals with DirecTV Cinema and Amazon Prime in late 2013, with some films distributed through them, and the name was changed to A24 in 2016.[3]. But I put no limitations on what theyre capable of. [20], On February 20, 2018, A24 launched a podcast titled The A24 Podcast. Take its efforts on Spring Breakers, for example. Hodges had been an integral part of the studio since its inception in 2012, along with co-founders David Fenkel and Daniel Katz. Information. Aizenberg: There was a week in January where we dropped the trailer of Spring Breakers. Please only use it for a guidance and A24 (company)'s actual income may vary a lot from the dollar amount shown above. Since then his contributions to growing the company have been invaluable and we cant wait to see what he does next, said A24 in a statement. A24 co-founder John Hodges is exiting the indie companyto focus on future opportunities, he and the company jointly announced on Monday. John Hodges - High Net Worth Field Adjuster - LinkedIn Sacco: And people on planet Earth, you know, they go see movies that they need to want to see or hear about. John Hodges | A24 Films Wiki | Fandom With Hodges leaving, the company behind the Oscar-winning best pictureMoonlight made it clear that no additional changes in management will be made. We literally didnt know what to do. I think he would say something now. How Much is A24 Studios Worth? : boxoffice - Reddit Films distributed by A24 ended up getting nominated for seven Academy Awards that year, including Best Picture (Room), Actress (Brie Larson), Documentary (Amy), and Original Screenplay (Ex Machina). Logo by GrandArmy Photos via A24. Johnny Hodges Biography, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Family Also Read: Sundance, SXSW Comedy 'Never Goin' Back' Sells to A24, John has been a trusted partner who helped conceive A24 and for that we will always be grateful, the studio said in a statement. And I think A24 and companies like that areyou know, people want to go to the cinema. James Franco (actor, Spring Breakers, The Adderall Diaries): This is one of the things theyre great at: taking something small and delicate and giving it the kind of support that other people cant. Moonlight we hadnt seen yet. raised the Oscar at them. Zach Baron is GQs staff writer. That company and the old Miramax and Fox Searchlight had a real brand and a hold on their audience. The latest is Hereditary, the debut film of Ari Aster that premiered at Sundance and is quickly earning a reputation as one of the scariest movies ever. When Ex Machina director Alex Garland was asked what he liked about working with A24, he compared the major studios to ocean liners: To change direction it takes them two days to even start to make that turn. Daniel Radcliffe (actor, Swiss Army Man): Ive had experiences on films in the past where they get bought by somebody who sees something in it that they like, which is nice, but it also happens to be notand is sometimes antithetical towhat the people who made the film wanted it to be. Whoa! Because theyd made a curated, awesome, crafted film. Good A24 films anticipate the zeitgeist, and the best ones galvanize it. As one of the founding members of the New York-based company, Hodges played a key role. Jenkins: They were like, Look. Larson: I couldnt be more grateful for an experience that changed the course of my life and career immeasurably. At a time when young people are increasingly going to the movies only for blockbuster spectacle, A24 has established itself as the film industrys most forward-thinking company by releasing the kind of midsized, stylish, quality films that seemed on the verge of going extinct, transforming them into a collective theatrical experience, and aiming them squarely at a demographic that would rather watch movies on their phones. The next day it was like, Anythings possible.. Katz, Fenkel and Hodges all got together in 2012 and decided to make their late night yammerings a reality. Aizenberg: When I started, we didnt have Spring Breakers yet, but the whole focus of that very first meeting I went to was like, How do we get Spring Breakers? The fact theyre vampires might just be an excuse for them to wear sunglasses indoors. First movies gonna be so exciting! And I remember everyone came back from that test screening. We get movies. And the only thing we could put it in was a cardboard box with duct tape. Jenkins: I dont know if [Moonlight] was a glittering jewel of a project. An Industry Arts Company. Hodges previously served as head of production and development at Big Beach Films and exec produced "Our Idiot Brother" and "Safety Not Guaranteed.". Beyer: Alicia VikanderI think she read about it, or she saw this photo of her that was being used. And [my producer] kept saying it, and I kept thinking, Okay, at some point Ill figure out what hes talking about. In the last 18 months alone,along with Room and The End of the Tour,it has pioneered the abortion comedy with Obvious Child, scored a commercial hit with the seductive thriller Ex Machina, released one of the most daring science fiction films this side of 2001 in Under the Skin, and driven the most lucrative documentary in years with Asif Kapadias Amy Winehouse portrait, Amy. Katz: Tuesday morning, I remember, we had a little whiskey for him. In 2016, A24 expanded into original production with Moonlight. It also put out some of its weirder and most singular movies to date: Trey Edward Shultss micro-budget family drama Krisha; Swiss Army Man, in which Daniel Radcliffe plays a corpse; and Yorgos Lanthimoss romantic tragedy, The Lobster. In February, Robert Eggerss The Witch, which A24 bought at Sundance for one million dollars, made $40 million and became the companys highest grossing film to date (Moonlight has since surpassed it). Villeneuve: If my memorys good, I was amongst their, not their first movies, but they were a young company at the time. Fenkel: In LA, every meeting is about the hot air. A24 Founder John Hodges To Part Ways With The Company Three were winners. A24 Apr 2012 - May 20186 years 2 months Head of Production and Development Big Beach Films 2008 - 20124 years Greater New York City Area Development and Production Executive Michaels Goldwyn. The bottom line is that there were 677 new releases in 2013, and that number is only getting bigger. Sacco: Frances Ha was the first heartbreak. Like, you believe in something, you fall in love with it, and then you work for three months on trying to make it work. Eggers: People always want to do bigger and better the next time, you know? Although A24's actual net worth is not known. Aizenberg: We had a couple movies in there that we tried to force into making, like, event-y theatrical, and they werent. It was another way of getting the message out there. Katz: By the way, a thousand times out of a thousand, youre wrong. Hodges, who previously served as head of production at the indie production company Big Beach (Little Miss Sunshine), did not announce any immediate career plans. Take the fate of John Macleans Slow West, one of the years best films, a neo-Western starring Michael Fassbender as a bounty hunter. But its present success and continued survival are dependent on a massive deal that seems to directly contradict everything thats made the company so special. We all go nuts for a few minutes, and then were all like, Okay, what do we do?. Usually you talk to somebody and they tell you all the reasons they shouldnt make something, and why its so difficult. The company also announced that they would also finance and develop pilots. These films speak for themselves. And we just hounded him. John has been a trusted partner who helped conceive A24 and for that we will always be grateful. Said Korine: They saw that marketing was a creative act that could be entertaining in and of itself. Apply Bed Bath and Beyond Coupon and save 25% Off your entire purchase, Target Circle: up to 50% Off with Target promo code, Save 25% on your purchase of Spring Styles with Asos Coupon, Michael Kors Promo Code: sign up for KORSVIP + Get 10% Off on First Order, 2023 Cond Nast. Fenkel: That kind of hit. Earlier this year I was drinking in a hotel bar with the head of another distribution company at a film festival. Daniel Katz, David Fenkel and John Hodges have unveiled New York-based A24 as a distribution, financing and production company with plans to release eight to 10 titles annually. People want to see movies. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. But as A24 initiates the second phase of its existence, a transition that includes financing its own films and branching out into television, the companys exponential growth may find it becoming part of the problem it had once seemed destined to solve. There was nothing bad-spirited about it. And then, in 08, the bubble burst, and the economic downturn probably had a little bit of impact. But A24 has the money to acquire a steady slate of releases, the model to support them, and the chutzpah to make nearly each one into a mini-phenomenon. Art and Experience : John Hodges is leaving A24, the Oscar-winning indie studio that he co-founded.
Terraria Calamity Rogue Weapons, Joseph Prince Son, Articles A