Replace the cam or do the delete kit? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The engine will switch to operating on fewer cylinders when cruising at a constant speed. After taking a $3.6h bath on the lifter/valve work and doing a little research, how can GM allow a problem like this AFM continue from 07 to present? If i am successful locating a non-dod vin would i just need to have the ecm reprogrammed? I am wondering the same thing. I would appreciate any feedback. From what I am reading this would eliminate the possibility of failure, prevent false check engine lights and continue to make the appropriate power??? Now I know why there wa such a push to get older ,less efficient vehicles off the roads. All Gen IV engine blocks haveAFMtowers and oil passages cast in. They shift cam lobes by sliding the cam, never actually shutting down the value but riding a different lube! Have not had a problem yet. Who knew? AFM Sucks!!! I had privilege to work on some of that garbage they never did work . PDF GM LS AFM Deactivation Lifter Issues - Melling I have a 12 wit 4.8 Silverado 75000 miles Thank you. He unstuck it and I took it for a drive and same thing happened. changed oil , its all working now, but want to disable this sorry system. There are no changes in the valves or the springs. I was looking at the 08 escalade hybrid with dod on its 6.0 so wondering if the delete would contribute to the high oil consumption and therefore would adding the deflector be a good idea. The VLOM consists of 4 electronically operated solenoids and is bolted to the top of the engine block beneath the intake manifold assembly. WATCH THIS VIDEO https://youtu.be/1MJMf3nnQhQ. Open to suggestions about best course of action. have yet to find a read that shows an escalade with high oil consumption and i have read a lot on the hybrid. I have a 2011 GMC with over 162,000 miles on it and it runs great! I hate it. The dealer in Rockhill, SC when asked only said they had not had a problem. When cylinders are deactivated, the number of crankshaft rotation increases between firing pulses. Oil consumption problems can be caused by a number of factors, including low oil pressure, worn oil seals, or worn engine parts. In 2010, GM added a deflector (p/n) NAL-12639759 to redirect in into the pan. RANGE TECNOLOGY.COM. I was told that before I start the vehicle up I will need to have the AFM and VVT disabled in the ECU but that would require a custom tune from a tuner as the ECU cannot just be told that the AFM and the VVT is gone. Im a little confused on the problems too, Im reading that the 2007 pick-ups with 5.3 really had bad oil consumption and plug fouling problems, but is the 2005 5.3 that came in the trailblazers, envoys, and sabb 9-7s the exact same design as these pick-ups and prone to the same failures? Do you think I can still disable AFM? I just bought a 2018 Silverado. It is replaceable.. just remove oil pan and it will be on top at the filter. My Chevy truck with fuel management can not touch my 2000 Chevy with out fuel management. I had an 82 caddy 4100 with alumn block and cast iron heads ,, Exploded in Philidelpha, Garbage.. Brian, thank you for the quick response. This valve is located on the oil pan rail and prevents excessive oil pressure from negatively impacting the AFM components. Thanks for the advice Brian! GM Making New Trucks Without Cylinder Deactivation Due To Chip - Motor1 I guess what Im really trying to ask is,, are there any cons/disadvantages to installing the AFM delete Electronic module? Is Your 5.3L V8 Engine Eating Up Too Much Oil? We - GM Parts Online I have a 08 6.0L out of a Silverado with an aftermarket oil pan that has no provision for a pressure relief valve. Call chevy.They should being paying most of that. These trucks cost too much to have a terrible product. Service manager said nothing else needs to be replaced because the engine has a Teflon coating. Engine oil pressure is fine. Love the truck so far. CAM motion says no just have to disable the AFM and VVT with a stock tune as the camshaft is not an aggressive camshaft but a drop in. This system is the most effective way to disable AFM. I went with the new motor for the warranty. If you want to delete it entirely, its a M14 x 1.5 pipe plug or you could use the Improved Racing plug p/n IRP-814-M14-Kit. Im looking at the Range Disabler but want to make sure it is required/suggested/recommended/safe? I bought a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3L, X31 off road package a year ago. I couldnt agree with you less, yet I respect your opinions. My 2012 Silverado 5.3L just did the same thing as your Tahoe Brian. Wed recommend a call to our partners at Summit Racing. Perhaps a flaw by design would be a more appropriate description . Basically rebuilt most of the engine while in the vehicle. All I can say is they now try this again and they are still having trouble..when will they ever leave well enough alone. A lot of drivers reported losing 2-4 quarts of oil in between oil changes. They should let us the better mileage. Another General Motors 5.3L V8 Lawsuit Filed | GM Authority My local mechanic suggested whatever I buy with an AFM he will send off the ECU to have the AFM flashed out. I already ordered the parts to replace myself and remove the code. The only solution is to replace the entire cylinder head. In 2015, I purchased a new Tahoe with the AFM and two weeks ago with 71K miles on it, the engine light came on. Or not because it is the cast iron block and not he aluminum block? My ignition lock cylinder is completely stuck in lock position with the steering wheel locked as well. any help? Plus the 5.7 has its own problems with VVT reliability and the rest of the truck is flimsy junk. Todays computers are faster so it does work. 2 15 with 5.3 Sierras both with 100k and Or is the shuddering indicative of failed/failing lifters that need to be replaced before moving forward? [], [] as the LS engine familys hybrid engine in trucks and SUVs. Hi Brian please help, yesterday after ice fishing was climbing a hill back home and check engine light flashed. Whats the next step? You can unplug the sensor on the vacuum booster and it will fool the computer into thinking there is a high demand on the engine and shut down the AFM system but you will have a Check engine light in your face for doing so . Unfortunately because of emission standards nowadays, manufacturers cant go back to those style of engines. I had a 2007 Yukon XL 5.3 with the AFM. At least Dodge admitted they had junk transmissions in the early 2000s and picked up sales each. Brian, I repaired a 2012 GMC Yukon Denali as the AFM lifter on #4 I take failed. He claims that GM used the same engine whether it was or was not equipped with AFM in this year and model? I have an 07 Yukon with 230k on the engine. Toyotas 5.7 is one of the biggest gas guzzlers among half-ton trucks. Ayush Srivastava Number 7 cylinder lifters stops moving when truck starts. Now I get 24 to 26 with deactivation locked out and full power. I recently took a long trip and it burned 1.5 quarts of oil. i just bought a 2018 Silverado with the 5.3 Loved the looks and interior and thought a I got a great deal at $6k even. When you drain the oil at three to four thousand miles its still clean. But after reading this thread, Im a little concerned about the long-term reliability. What the biggest reported problem with Chevy Silverados? I still get a P0336 code every once in a while but still good to drive around town. I havent has any lifter or cam issues. This is in response to pretty much everyone. While the system sounded good, the microprocessors scrambled to activate, deactivate, and then reactivate cylinders as driving conditions quickly changed, causing the car to hesitate, buck, and stall. I know a few guys with Tundras. One the other hand, it came without AFM, VVT, or flex fuel capability. The oil-pressure controlled system that operates the special lifters is VERY prone to failure, if the oil is not changed on time, OR if the wrong oil is used. Deactivating cylinders at light load forces the throttle valve be opened more fully to create constant power, and allows the engine to breathe easier. Theyre also notorious for bad cam tower oil leaks. The service manager that I spoke with said, GM states if 2 qts of oil is used between oil changes the engine needs rebuild. The early part of his automotive career included working for engine builders Scott Shafiroff and C.J. Given maximum engine power is not required during the majority of everyday driving, AFM works to deactivate engine cylinders when they are not needed, such as when cruising on the highway, thus. Any help would be appreciated. Well, they move a couple of times after startup thats all.Asume its the same on syl 7 on the other side.Disconected the Connector to the solenoids, no difference. Yes, always change all the lifters at once. I bought a 2010 GMC Sierra 5.3L Truck in 2013 with 24K miles. I don know what else would cause the surge, but Id research the misfire code and see which cylinder is problematic. I was getting ~ 30 mpg, so I love that. These engines made 270-400 hp from the factory will run smooth as silk for over 300,000 miles (unless you have AFM). 91 GMC Sierra K1500 F44 6.2 NA Plow truck with 7.5ft Leo Plow 94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD DE exhaust . My 2013 LC9 just had #6 lifter fail, got a misfire code but the ticking gave it away. Love the truck. CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!!! A tuner can often fix that as well by giving it some more ignition advance in these regions. GM Active Fuel Management Cylinder Deactivation Technology - GM Authority The car runs great apart from the shuddering at those speeds. A custom tune by a knowledgeable tuner with access to a chassis dyno will pay a lot of other dividends other on top of turning off afm and VVT. bought at Brian Tooley Racing ! With that said, the current global chip shortage has been affecting the industry on a wide scale, forcing production halt among several automakers. Was a disaster then but a profitable disaster. We recently purchased an 08 Suburban and noticed some shuddering around crusing speeds, usually 45-55mph and highway speeds around 75mph. There has been a lifter noise since I bought the truck 1 year ago. GM tried this on cadillacs about 20 years ago and if memory serves me correctly it was a disaster. It was in the late 70s or early 80s and it was a POS, Your memory serves you pretty well I too have the same nightmares lol. Yes thats true. Then again, it should have never been controlling those solenoids. Side note, after 200 hundred miles of trouble free driving the transmission failed so we had to replace that too. I have ordered an ATM disabler and will be putting a can of Textron in the gas at the next fill up. The pressure relief in the pan opens at around 45psi to prevent over pressurization of the vlom solenoids. Per bulletin 10-06-01-0007b, 2007 L92 had first and 2nd design. The motor I pulled was a 2007 LY5 with about 77k on it. of cranking pressure because the duration is longer on those cylinders to being with to offset the AFM lifter design. As you said, the ECM was never seeing the AFM so I think youre good to go. If under the truck while parked and it is doing it it sounds like it is towards the back of motor. The system uses solenoids to deliver oil pressure to control. GM get a clue! The 1st design (built prior to April 1, 2006) was had afm components but wasnt connected. What makes you think it was a design flaw ? After all we bailed them out of bankruptcy. Seafoam with syn oil change only fixed for a week. Cant believe they havent fixed this in a decade. On one hand it has an aluminum block, which is nice. Chevy 5.3 Engine Problems Are They That Long-Lasting? - Motor Verso They learned that the oil level sensor was necessary and that we were supposed to have been advised that we needed to reuse the original oil pan. will feel like a jerk asking the clerk at lowes to cut them again. Its not GMs choice to use AFM. Fortunately, the old engine hadnt been shipped back to the remanufacturer. It has 8,000 miles on it. All the time. If possible, will simply not using VVT provide a powerful,good running engine? Our patented technology is the only product that will disable Active or Dynamic Fuel Management without reprogramming the factory ECU. Shame this happened. I service plenty of these vehicles with AFM, and the ones I have to open up the engine for repair because of a failure doesnt surprise me anymore. But it also restricts passages that the oil runs through. Another option is to plug it entirely if the AFM is already removed. Took it in this morning and mechanic said cylinder 6 misfire, he said the lifter hasnt failed. Go Small? Common Problems With the Chevy Silverado 2.7L Turbo Ketil, let us know what you find out. If you ignore it and keep driving, odds are you will destroy the cam as well. Brian, we have a 2007 Yukon Denali in our shop with a 6.2L v-8 that has suffered a lifter failure with camshaft damage. I ran 0W-20 on more the 5000 miles between changes. I am confused about the plug in disabler. Happened once 1yr ago, truck was not used for a week and worked fine when i started it back up. If you are using VVT, you could use the NAL-12612273 (L92) cam. is it still working good since you have done that with the trans fluid? yep, you are 100% Right, I called a local saab shop and they filled me in, in 2005 the trailblazer and clones have DOD (displacement on demand), My next issue is getting extra ignition keys on the cheap. Was thinking maybe I could trick the ruck into thinking the engine was not warmed up, however, this might cause some problems for other processes, such as mix ratio and timing. Put an S&B cold air intake on last week with huge oiled filter and it made a big improvement in throttle response and it appears possibly a slight improvement in mileage. I recently bought a low mileage 2013 Silverado and the lifters collapsed. I cant stand seeing customers continuously going thousands of miles over on the oil and wonder why theres problems. General Motors Active Fuel Management Cylinder Deactivation Technology Active Fuel Management (AFM), otherwise known as Cylinder Deactivation is a General Motors engine technology that. She started to have the lifter problem again after 60,000 miles more. The engine was not Flex Fuel (E85) capable and did not use Variable Valve Timing (VVT) [], [] TheL76like its LS2 siblingis a 6.0L, Gen. 4, aluminum small block engine that was used both in GM cars and trucks. Had nothing but trouble out of it. She had driven it for a couple of months that way. I am not in a position to have a new cam and lifters installed but Im also not in a position to not having a running truck! []. I would. It actavated the lifter? We had one for a company car in 82 and it never did run right from new but at least it didnt destroy itself. If buying a tuner/chip which works best for that truck/engine? You also need the disabler installed in your obd connector. [] For more information on AFM, including a comprehensive guide on how to completely remove it from your engine, check out this article. Just one or two. A problem with cylinder deactivation can be solved by tuning the intake and exhaust valves. NOTE:If you were in a situation where youve installed the AFM delete kit, but dont have access to a programmera disabler can still be a viable option. I am having that done today on my 08 Suburban and its only costing me $225. You are correct. I will keep reading and take notes. Just recently, GM announced a temporary closure. The Service Traction Control and Check Engine lights also came on again but went out after a few minutes. lol. Do you think it would be wise to put a AFM disabler on a brand new truck to avoid engine damage? How to Delete or Disable Active Fuel Management (AFM) I can literally drive from Seattle to Redding CA on one tank. I am a long time GM fan but after reading how they messed up the 5.3 ( I had a fantastic 2003 Z72 off road) Ill look else ware for my next vehicle. General Motors has issued a service update for 2021 model year full-size truck and SUV models that are being shipped to dealerships and may be affected by valve lifter problems. This should be added to your earlier model if you experience oil consumption. 2018 new truck has me really disgusted If I had checked this out better, there would have been one less POS Chevy sold last year ! [], [] rugged iron block 6.0L came with VVT, but without Active Fuel Management, which saves you the cost of an AFM delete [], [] The LH6 engine is a 5.3L Gen. IV aluminum engine that replaced the LM4 in 2005. I have no other engine problems and Id like to fix the issue. Thats not all bad because it saves the cost of an AFM delete kit. Billy, there is some interesting trivia here on the L92. Dummy Me thought gm learned its lesson in 1981 but they never did and I Too am stuck with a Buick thats just waiting to self destruct. [], I have a 2012 Silverado Z71 bought new. I also notice that it doesnt go into V4 when it is cold. Because your Saab is mechanically similar to the Trailblazer, wed suggest that you are correct and no changes need to be made to the relief valve. what deleter (if thats a real word) have you heard good things about. Truck ran fine before that. Any advice that you could offer would be great. 2017 5.3 Liter Chevy Engine Problems: Be Aware of These 4 Issues! The LH6 in 2005-06 was a little different than the one used in 2007-09, but both had AFM. This is my second Avalanche and I never had any issues with either of them. This happened on a camping trip with my kids last friday night. Dont want to make a move on a new truck or jump to a 2500 yet. Regarding the cylinder deactivation impact on fuel consumption . I have a Yukon 116k it now needs its 3rd set of lifters and cam. In 5th gear on deceleration and 99 for fuel mileage estimate on the dash it still didnt go into 4 cyl mode. When you eliminate the AFM system, the extra oil is no longer needed. When an engine is contstantly running on oil that is broken down, it not only wheres out components because of no protection. I did a delete on an 07 avalanche and no have no power, any thoughts on what might be going on? The most common issue GM vehicle owners with AFM report is increased fuel consumption. Diablo says yes but they do not provide tunes. Interesting that gm still hasnt gotten the bugs out of their Volt and now their 2nd attempt. It is currently at the dealer having a new long block installed under warranty. []. Please report back if you have any issues, but I think you are in good shape. Hi Grant is that disabler still working for you ? GM Lifter Recall Needed, Says Class Action Lawsuit [] engines is that when VVT (variable valve timing) appeared and was later followed by AFM (which is Active Fuel Management, when the engine deletes four cylinders under light load) both of these packages drastically affect []. Easier said than done. I could just transfer over the AFM lifter cover, but it is really nasty on the bottom side & I do not want to risk damaging this replacement engine if it is loaded with debris from the lifter & camshaft failure. Took it to my dads and he tore things apart and found that I had a lifter that was stuck. The engine will operate on 8 cylinders in V8 mode during starting, idling, and medium or heavy throttle conditions. How long did it take? Right now I have just over 77K miles with no lifter problems Knock on wood I am thinking of the AFM disabler. Everything was fine for two weeks, ow customer complains s it same noise it made as before. 1. Ive got about 6 to 8 psi of oil pressure after the engine gets warm and I have to stop at a traffic light. My point is that the engine likely on uses dod a small percentage of the time so can not really imagine that the delete causes any more issue than normal which may be the high oil consumption but do all of these engines with dod consume a lot of oil? Since no air can get in or out, four cylinders provide no power. If you swapped in a LS9 cam, you will find it makes good power at the very top, but its actually down from 5,000 rpm and lower where the truck spends the majority of its time. What Is Hemi MDS? - MotorTrend My tech just installed the engine, only to notice that he doesnt have anything to plug the AFM solenoid pack into. No problems with any to this point. December 20, 2021 A GM lifter recall should allegedly be ordered for Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC vehicles equipped with 5.3L, 6.0L or 6.2L V8 engines. All eight cylinders are now powering the engine. Jasper makes aGM engine that deletes AFM & will warranty the engine to a 100,000 miles parts & labor . Happened to me twice 2009 Silverado, finally deleted DOD and installed a performance cam and lifters. They replaced all the lifters, said no other damage, problem lifters were on cylinders 6 and 7. Having it fixed now, just curious Seems like a problematic design. Accept i only have 60K on my truck and it hasnt recovered. Most of all, my concern is reliability. It has AMF. It is also known as Displacement on Demand (DoD) or cylinder deactivation. General motors sent out a service bulletins to their dealers however, all dealers will not tell you about the bulletin.
Candidate Fitness Assessment Calculator, Tennis Channel Plus Login, Beverly Hills High School Football Coach Salary, Busted Open Radio Wiki, Havanese Breeders San Antonio Tx, Articles G