He had alsoquite without meaning todesigned a beautiful economic experiment. Sustainability is often thought of answer. Maybe it needed to be cleaned? And I bow deeply to Thelonious Monk I need to illustrate just how weird they are. a contrast between different types of crime. Each of the few times he had been pulled over for a traffic violation, he knew the possibility existed that he would be harassed, misunderstood, suspected of shadowy dealings that might bloom in the imagination of any given police officer. I am your principal, Mrs. Here the only official ritual is pledging allegiance first thing in the morning to the American flag. (1 point) responses compare and contrast words compare and contrast words signal words signal words cause and 4. Which line of text supports the idea that Hal is meeting the college deans for the first time? Wet, black branches covered cars, the street. The evidence presented here supports the authors claim that fast food restaurants are like factories because the excerpt. I couldnt reach it, obviously, so I moved over the chair with the tuxedo still on it, and then I went to my room to get the Collected Shakespeare set that Grandma bought for me when she found out that I was going to be Yorick, and I brought those over, four tragedies at a time, until I had a stack that was tall enough. I assure you he will grow accustomed.". The example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive at which of the arrive at specific examples by studying other examples. His tuxedo was over the chair he used to sit on when he tied his shoes, and I thought, Weird. The majority of people are honest. A tree across the street had been ripped from its roots and lay across the road, branches spread over his driveway. It was an honor-system commerce scheme, and it worked. "Anybody," Zeitoun said. My instincts concerning syntax and mechanics are better than your own, I can tell, with due respect. Which statement best tells how the conflict in the first excerpt is similar to the conflict in the second excerpt? Which statement best summarizes a central idea in The Namesake? Or it may have represented a more general surge in empathy. By the summer of 2001, the overall rate had slipped to about 87 percent. Why does the author include this flashback? I remembered him tucking me in. ", Gogol looks down at his sneakers. Invoke multiple senses. Some shingles missing from the roof. He set out alone for a while and before long, at the corner of Canal and Scott, he encountered a small boat. I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies. Unseasonably cold weather, meanwhile, makes people cheat prolifically; so do heavy rain and wind. Which line from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close reveals a sentimental tone? Which line from the excerpt best reflects a subjective narrative voice? I stood on all of that and it worked for a second. He has come to believe that morale is a big factorthat an office is more honest when the employees like their boss and their work. after deep-breathing exercises, she dresses in sweats and sport shoes for a morning jog over the same paths in lakewood park. Key pads. But since neither of them feels comfortable pressing the issue, they have no choice but to give in. Did they steal from him? He is beginning to lose patience. I do the safe thing, relaxing every muscle in my face, emptying out all expression. C The authors prove Feldman's success by describing Not the honor system-scheme Which of the following best summarizes the main idea of this paragraph? And, on cue, he saw a murky form darting between submerged tree branches. In both pieces the narrators are carefree and in no apparent hurry. With no one able to monitor his behavior, Gyges proceeded to do woeful thingsseduce the queen, murder the king, and so on. "I work with anybody.". An excerpt is a quoted fragment from a book, novel, poem, short story, article, speech, or other literary work that is used to give the reader a specific example from the source. "I didnt do it!" "Well, if people like me are a dying breed, then whats going to happen to your business?" Windows had been blown out. Thats the gory moment when your body snaps into two segments, breaking apart at your midsection. There should be services to give homeless people a break from the stuff they have to deal with in their everyday lives. Each year he drops off about seven thousand boxes and loses, on average, just one to theft. What about the parents preference? A.) C.) Glaucon and Paul Feldman were wrong. Weather, for instance, is a major factor. An excerpt in writing is a quoted passage taken from a longer work, such as a book, or poem, or an article. If you were made of rubber then you would just stretch in response. Which sentence from an argumentative essay about genetically modified foods best states a claim? He shifts slightly in his chair. There is a new silence. Many of the children go by nicknames here. Argue against another writer's position on a topic and clarify the strengths of their own position. dinner is at 6: 30. at 7: 00, she turns on the tv to watch the national news. It was as if the entire operation, this bus station-turned-military base, had been arranged for them. Most embezzlers lead quiet and theoretically happy lives; employees who steal company property are rarely detected. and so it English, 21.06.2019 18:20. Read the beginning stanza from Billy Collinss "Man Listening to Disc. An exponent of Augustan literature, Pope is best known for his satirical and discursive poetry including The Rape of the Lock, The Dunciad, and An Essay on Criticism, and for his The majority of people are corrupt. He and Kathy worried about the reach of the Department of Homeland Security, its willingness to contact anyone born in or with a connection to the Middle East. The majority of people are corrupt. So while youre getting ripped apart head to toe, you will also extrude through the fabric of space and time, like toothpaste squeezed through a tube. When Gyges put on the ring, he found that it made him invisible. Ashima and Ashoke wonder, shaking their heads. In "Day of the Butterfly," Myra and Jimmy would spend recess in the little black porchbetween the Boys' Side and the Girls' Side because Todd ranted, but Zeitoun knew it would do no good. The interview rooms other personnel include: the Universitys Director of Composition, its varsity tennis coach, and Academy prorector Mr. A. deLint. Excerpt: Definition & Examples - Video & Lesson Transcript - Study.com Banquo use. his music flowing through the soft calipers The cooking process is fairly simple. Driving around the parks that encircle Washington, he solicited customers with a simple pitch: early in the morning, he would deliver some bagels and a cash basket to companys snack room; he would return before lunch to pick up the money and the leftovers. The example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive at which of the following conclusions? Taxpayers have spent millions of dollars on programs to improve education. As far as I know, nobody has ever been eaten by a black hole, but there is compelling evidence to suggest that black holes in the universe routinely dine upon wayward stars and unsuspecting gas clouds. Zeitoun went down to the garage and retrieved a forty-gallon garbage can to catch the water. If education is so important to American society, then why is funding for American public schools so pathetic? Maybe more. the majority of people are corrupt. This distinction probably has less to do with the admittedly small amount of money involved (Feldmans bagels cost one dollar each, cream cheese included) than with the context of the "crime." this whole battery-powered crew, Then he tried a coffee can with a money slot in its plastic lid, which also proved too tempting. A mugging or a burglary or a murder is usually tallied whether or not the criminal is caught. The excerpt helps the authors support their conclusion by. The theme suggested by the excerpt is about. ", The beginnings of these two pieces are similar because they both. Which excerpt from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close reveals a childish tone? the example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive 1561 Words. Whatever the subject of your writing or the type of writing you intend to compose,. But then why would he have taken off his tuxedo without hanging it up? - the answers to ihomeworkhelpers.com Subject English "when i see birches bend left and right. Which line from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close reveals a nostalgic tone? In a bigger office, a bigger crowd is bound to convene around the bagel table, providing more witnesses to make sure you drop your money in the box. Read a variety of sources about the formation of black holes. Which of the following ideas is discussed in both Neil deGrasse Tysons "Death by Black Hole" and in Billy Collinss "Man Listening to Disc"? a contrast between different types of crime. Eventually, they too snap apart, creating a stream of their constituent atoms. At the end of his first day he is sent home with a letter to his parents from Mrs. Lapidus, folded and stapled to a string around his neck, explaining that due to their sons preference he will be known as Gogol at school. Another officer had Nasser against the wall by the stairway. Oother students did not want to socialize with them. A window in the master bedroom broke just after three oclock, as if a brick had been thrown through the glass. He has come to believe that morale is a big factorthat an office is more honest when the employees like their boss and their work. I hollered, but they didnt even hear me, because they were playing music too loud and cracking up too much. the example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive. "Go on, Gogol," he says, patting him on the head. In what hole could they all be buried? use the excerpt from "birches" by robert frost to answer the question. the hub of the cosmos What is an Excerpt? There is a tale, "The Ring of Gyges," that Feldman sometimes tells his economist friends. I believe I appear neutral, maybe even pleasant, though Ive been coached to err on the side of neutrality and not attempt what would feel to me like a pleasant expression or smile. Elisa works behind the counter. The majority of people are honest. In order to prove that Gogol knows English, Ashoke does something he has never done before, and addresses his son in careful, accented English. No great damage to the exterior. Which of the following choices best describes the rhetorical appeal used in this excerpt? His parents tell him that they each have two names, too, as do all their Bengali friends in America, and all their relatives in Calcutta. e The term excerpt has been used since the 15th century and originates from a Latin word meaning ''plucked out.'' Where else in the universe can you lose your life by being ripped apart atom by atom? There was the canoe. I wrapped up the old phone in the scarf that Grandma was never able to finish because of my privacy, and I put that in a grocery bag, and I put that in a box, and I put that in another box, and I put that under a bunch of stuff in my closet, like my jewelry workbench and albums of foreign currencies. They were tense, each of them with their fingers on their triggers. The numbers filled his head: there were a hundred thousand cars lost in the flood. There are, however, a few good holidays: the weeks that include the Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Columbus Day. He had had no experience with profiling, hadnt been suspected of anything by anyone with real authority. He got this idea after delivering for years to one company spread out over three floorsan executive floor on top and two lower floors with sales, service, and administrative employees (Feldman wondered if perhaps the executives cheated out of an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. It is true that Edward Said was not the first to write on and criticize Western Orientalilsm, as he himself admits in his article "Orient arrive at a generalization after starting with another generalization. "There seems to be some confusion, Mr. Ganguli," she says. But white-collar crime presents no obvious victim. Freakonomics Flashcards | Quizlet Zeitoun is confronting the reality of racism. 2 See answers b. Advertisement dubeyshailja64 with his most unwieldy bass Elisas mother usually drives her the half-mile or so to the restaurant, but sometimes Elisa walks, leaving home before the sun rises. Word choice in an argumentative essay should be. Glaucon seemed to think the answer was no. Othey did not want to be separated. As he did, he watched the water erase the floor and climb the walls. The excerpt helps the authors support their conclusion by evaluating a logical fallacy. There were the occasional looks askance, of course, sneers from people upon hearing his accent. She was ravenous for a son-in-law. Excerpt 2: At the end of his first day he is sent home with a letter to his parents from Mrs. Lapidus, folded and stapled to a string around his neck, explaining that due to their sons preference he will be known as Gogol at school. College tuition has almost doubled in the last twenty years; however, more than half of all recent college graduates are currently unemployed or in jobs that do not require a college degree. Globalization is leading people to redefine their cultural identities. (lines 1-10). Birds, some snakes, any beast that could find higher ground ahead of the rising tide. There was a lot of stuff that made me panicky, like suspension bridges, germs, airplanes, fireworksA lot of the time Id get that feeling like I was in the middle of a huge black ocean, or in deep space, but not in the fascinating way. Which of the following best describes the point of view in this excerpt? Within a few years, Feldman was delivering 8,400 bagels a week to 140 companies and earning as much as he had ever made as a research analyst. Ashima and Ashoke wonder, shaking their heads. Trying to help," Zeitoun said. Which statement best represents a counterclaim to this claim? Glaucon and paul feldman were wrong. She put her hand with the ring on it in her hair and said, "Oskar, Ron is my friend.". But white-collar crime presents no obvious victim. . . Excerpt 2: It is nothing like the schooling Gogols parents have known, fountain pens and polished black shoes and notebooks and good names and sir or madam at a tender age. The Zeitouns were proud, and there was plenty of sibling rivalry that had pushed them all to an array of achievementsall of them measured against the deeds of Mohammed. Sugar is a nutrient that the body uses as a source of energy; alcohol and tobacco are not. But until now Zeitoun had been fortunate. I would yield to the urge to bolt for the door ahead of them if I could know that bolting for the door is what the men in this room would see. 2 See answers Advertisement mcarc09 Word Relationships and Figurative Language - Quizizz The restaurant opens for business at seven oclock, and for the next hour or so, Elisa and the manager hold down the fort, handling all the orders. Why does the author include this description? How does the narration affect Oskars credibility in this excerpt? It comes from Platos Republic. When Gyges put on the ring, he found that it made him invisible. Answer: 1 on a question The example in the excerpt the authors arrive at which of the following conclusions? In the beginning, Feldman left behind an open basket for the cash, but too often the money vanished. This means it is a single system (or store) without any subsystems. . In the margin, explain why this imagery is an example of dramatic irony Unseasonably pleasant weather inspires people to pay at a higher rate. Glaucon seemed to think the answer was no. Which excerpt from Fast Food Nation best states a reason supporting the authors claim that fast food restaurants follow the assembly line model? by helping the reader recognize how long the storm lasts. Had he come from a fancy party the night before he died? a) A client with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) tells the nurse, "Sometimes I feel so frustrated. Who doesnt know him. Consuming too much sugar over time can lead to diabetes and cardiovascular disease. I do not know which face belongs to whom. Thanksgiving is nearly as bad; the week of Valentines Day is also lousy, as is the week straddling April 15. The two other Deans look to the Director of Composition. will eventually make it all the way downtown. He paddled around them and looked back to the house. As he paddled back to Claiborne, a hope flickered within Zeitoun that his siblings might see him on TV. >> <<, I took the Test and i can confirm B is the correct answer. In his neighborhood, miles from the closest levee, the water had risen slowly enough that he knew it was unlikely that anyone had died in the flood. ELA 11B - Subjecto.com Excerpt definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary Which of the following suggestions would best enhance a readers understanding of this poem? The Yuma 14's documents, like all of the death reports at the consulate, were tucked into accordion folders, cheap manila packets available in any Target or Kmart. answer. The week of Christmas produces a 2 percent drop in payment ratesagain, a 15 percent increase in theft, an effect on the same magnitude, in reverse, as that of 9/11. Excerpt 1: But Gogol doesnt want a new name. The difference in the two sets of holidays? None of them had ever done something like that, none had achieved on his level. My uncle looks to Athletics as if puzzled. "Why are we here?" What he didnt consider is that perhaps cheating was how they got to be executives.). Excerpt 1: But Gogol doesnt want a new name. The excerpt helps the authors arrive at their conclusion by Not A/Not B The excerpt serves as which type of support for the authors' argument? The first shows a personal conflict related to schooling in America, while the second shows a global conflict related to schooling in India. The excerpt helps the authors arrive at their conclusion by restating their claim about cheating. The quiet was profound. With no one able to monitor his behavior, Gyges proceeded to do woeful thingsseduce the queen, murder the king, and so on. . Feldman has also reached some of his own conclusions about honesty, based more on his experience than the data. Which statement best describes the narrative voice in this excerpt? He had thrown off the shackles of cubicle life and made himself happy. The chains taco meat arrives frozen and precooked in vacuum-sealed plastic bags. But they tell him that the new name will be used only by the teachers and children at school. the reporter asked. And yet it was so quiet, so still. Analysis Report for The Example In The Excerpt Helps The Authors Arrive At Which Of The Following Conclusions The Majority Of People Are Corrupt.The Majority Of People Are Honest. More than half of all recent college graduates are currently unemployed or in jobs that do not require a college degree. As he did his morning prayers, a helicopter broke the silence, shooting across the treetops and heading downtown. Compared with Feldmans argument, the tale of "The Ring of Gyges" is best described as a. is beside me; the others sit, stand and stand, respectively, at the periphery of my focus. A McDonalds kitchen is full of buzzers and flashing lights that tell employees what to do. Nothing too bad, three days work. I consume libraries. Like other national literatures, American literature was shaped by the history of the country that produced it. He had lived and died in an intolerable bitterness of spirit and it frightened me, as we drove him to the graveyard through those unquiet, ruined streets, to see how powerful and overflowing this bitterness could be and to realize that this bitterness now was mine. By 5:30, Elisas showered, done her hair, and put on her McDonalds uniform. Its clear that this really pretty sincere yellow Dean at left is Admissions. Outbreaks of disease are often accompanied by the demonizing of But Paul Feldman sides with Socrates and Adam Smithfor he knows the answer, at least 87 percent of the time, is yes.The example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive at which of the following conclusions? the example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive Todd raised his voice, rolled his eyes. That made me crack up a little, even though I know theres nothing funny about being a mental retard. And if any of you are curious THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER Possible questions for the A Level Sociology Education (71912) PAPER 1 exam - the two short answer questions in this paper will ask you to outline two reasons/ ways/ criticisms. I zipped myself all the way into the sleeping bag of myself, not because I was hurt, and not because I had broken something, but because they were cracking up. Since most teenagers still lived at home, they could afford to work for wages too low to support an adult, and until recently, their limited skills attracted few other employers. After youve been ripped into shreds of organic molecules, the molecules themselves begin to feel the continually growing tidal forces. Unlock the answer question Mr. Shiftlet was so shocked that for about a hundred feet he drove along slowly with the door stiff open. . RL.9-10.6 Analyze a particular point of view or cultural experience reflected in a work of Zeitoun is realizing the likelihood of flood casualties. (If the Inquisition had access to black holes, this, instead of the rack, would surely have become the stretching device of choice.). Examples of Imagery in Literature and Songs | YourDictionary Why wasnt it hung up with his suits? He got this idea after delivering for years to one company spread out over three floorsan executive floor on top and two lower floors with sales, service, and administrative employees. Grammar: Many birds migrate twice each year. providing statistical evidence. He personalizes the experience for the reader and uses vivid imagery to create a clear mental picture. If morality represents the way we would like the world to work and economics represents how it actually does work, then the story of Feldmans bagel business lies at the very intersection of morality and economics. I wanted to tell her she shouldnt be playing Scrabble yet. EVERY SATURDAY, ELISA ZAMOT gets up at 5:15 in the morning. It was on a TV there that I saw that the first building had fallen. Dont think I havent. It was a military craft, with three men aboard: a soldier, a man with a video camera, and one holding a microphone and a notebook. The tennis coach has moved to stand at the broad window, feeling at the back of his crewcut. The man took the ID and gave it back to Zeitoun without looking at it. he asks his parents, tears springing to his eyes. A factorys throughput is the speed and volume of its flowa much more crucial measurement, according to Chandler, than the number of workers it employs or the value of its machinery. Proofreading is about ironing out grammar and spelling mistakes, as well as checking punctuation. American literature, the body of written works produced in the English language in the United States. Millions of dollars have been spent by taxpayers on programs to improve education. People think they cut down trees so they can build dams, but in reality its because their teeth never stop growing. But Paul Feldman sides with Socrates and Adam Smithfor he knows the answer, at least 87 percent of the time, is yes. How does the narration shape Oskars characterization in this excerpt? presenting facts about the bagel business. "Just checking on friends houses. Within a few years, Feldman was delivering 8,400 bagels a week to 140 companies and earning as much as he had ever made as a research analyst. Even after a year, I still had an extremely difficult time doing certain things, like taking showers, for some reason, and getting into elevators, obviously. Most embezzlers lead quiet and theoretically happy lives; employees who steal company property are rarely detected. Shortly thereafter, those segments each snap into two segments of their own, and so forth, and so forth, bifurcating your body into an ever-increasing number of parts: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc. Or a nickname? ", "Then its settled. "It is very common for a child to be confused at first. to motorizeor whateverhis huge piano As writers, we employ examples to help explain ideas. Based on the excerpt, the conclusion that "personal mood seems to affect honesty" is best supported by which of the following statements? Glaucons story posed a moral question: could any man resist the temptation of evil if he knew his acts could not be witnessed? The author of Fast Food Nation claims that the fast-food industry prefers to employ underskilled workers. "Everythings add water," a Taco Bell employee told me. Q. Glaucon, like Feldmans economist friends, disagreed. Black holes are regions of space where the gravity is so high that the fabric of space and time has curved back on itself, taking the exit doors with it. Excerpt Examples | What is an Excerpt? - Video & Lesson Transcript The example in the excerpt helps the authors arrive at which of the following conclusions? Who would take them once the waters receded? An excerpt is a quoted fragment from a book, novel, poem, short story, article, speech, or other literary work that is used to give the reader a specific example from the source. The difference in the two sets of holidays? The tennis coach jingles pocket-change. Globalization causes people to redefine their cultural identities. is full of the hope that he, . She has not had to go through this confusion with the other two Indian children. Perhaps they would see what he was doing, that he had done something good by staying in his adopted city. The chemical waste produced by factories is out of hand, and factory owners should get in trouble. Which of the following suggestions would be most beneficial for a reader in order to gain a better understanding of the information presented in this excerpt? Because many of Feldmans customers are affiliated with national security, there may have been a patriotic element to the 9/11 Effect. "But clearly he doesnt respond. Glaucon, like Feldmans economist friends, disagreed. I am alone among administrative heads. illustrates the assembly line principle of making things faster. But humans are composed of other materials such as bones and muscles and organs. I knew I could never let Mom hear the messages, because protecting her is one of my most important raisons dtre, so what I did was I took Dads emergency money from on top of his dresser, and I went to the Radio Shack on Amsterdam. The same office worker who fails to pay for his bagel might also help himself to a long slurp of soda while filling a glass in a self-serve restaurant, but he is very unlikely to leave the restaurant without paying. He and James passed the same groups, waiting patiently, on the way to their job sites and on their way back. A student named Glaucon offered the story in response to a lesson by Socrateswho, like Adam Smith, argued that people are generally good even without enforcement. by helping the reader remember a similar storm. If he was floating atop water shared with the lake, surely fish had been swept into the city. The central idea that both texts share is. an external conflict between the educational values and viewpoints of Mrs. Lapidus and those of Gogols parents. There are, however, a few good holidays: the weeks that include the Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Columbus Day. They allow the reader to infer how academically gifted Hal actually is. Which citation format is correct if a student is quoting a line on page 45 of a book titled Prison by Horace Gardener? And then after a moments hesitation, he is gone. Instead of relying upon a small, stable, well-paid, and well-trained workforce, the fast food industry seeks out part-time, unskilled workers who are willing to accept low pay. "He has no middle name. by providing specific reasons why teenagers are ideal candidates, such as their acceptance of lower wages.
2017 Chevy Cruze Gear Shift Plus And Minus, Where Does Treyten Live, Juneau Empire Police Blotter, Battle Of Khe Sanh Casualties, Articles T